Thursday, October 1, 2026

I am glad I stopped supporting Tim Horton's

Two years ago, I bought at least one Tim medium coffee daily. Whenever I got in my car and drove somewhere, my first stop was always a Tim Horton's.

Then it hit me. I wasn't even enjoying it. I was simply going through the motions of a mindless ritual. I also performed a rough calculation. At ~$2.00 per day, I was giving Horton's about $730 per year. That's a significant portion of my annual income. When I drove a cab at least five days per week, I would usually buy about three Tim coffees per shift. That's $6 per shift, $30 per week, and $1,560 per year, not counting those I bought in my hypnotic state when not driving a cab. Once I put some numbers around my irrational coffee habit, it was easy to stop the habit dead. Now I barely purchase one Tim coffee per month; usually in unique circumstances - like the odd reunion with some of my high school buds. As an added bonus, I no longer have to endure the aggravation of waiting in a line, either in the drive-thru or in-store, as some knob-head ahead of me takes half an hour to decide what they want, or to mess with their app-based payment systems, or to gossip with the server. Oh, and I almost forgot to mention the diversity angle where sometimes you need to state your order to three different staffers due to language barriers. One time, the language barrier was so severe they had to put me on the phone with some official from the United Nations. (Just kidding, though that might also explain some of the delays in the lineups.)

All in all, I am glad I stopped supporting Tim Horton's.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave your comments, insults, or threats.

An Obvious Grifter